In other words, freed from the dead hand of bureaucracy, schools can actually educate children. Even in a city that is poor, violent and recently submerged.Thom Hartmann on the invention of grades.
While grades didn't help students a bit - and, in fact, had the now well-known effect of "dumbing down" entire nations - they vastly simplified the work of teachers and schools. So they spread across Europe and to America with startling speed, arriving here in the early 1800s.Tim Harford
Without grades, the assembly-line-classroom would not be possible.
As long as patients have no way to demand better value instead of simply better quality, cost inflation seems inescapable.Tim Ranzetta has a list of information that career colleges should have to provide (and students sign after receiving):
[AG: he was speaking in terms of health care, but this seems equally applicable to education.]
• Completion rates
• Placement rates
• Average starting wages upon completion (with high and low ranges, too)
• Average student debt at completion
• Accreditation of school and explanation of differences between national and regional
• Student loan default rates
• Student satisfaction levels based on one question: Would you recommend this institution's program to a friend?
• Job retention (did the student still have job 6-12 months after completion)