Monday, February 08, 2010

Links for 2/8/10

Chad Aldeman
after teachers had a couple years experience and were up for lifetime tenure, could a district accurately cut off the bottom 25 percent of teachers and improve their workforce?

The answer is a qualified yes.
Tom Deans
I've been considering such evaluations ever since I went through the tenure a second time: the first was at a liberal arts college, the second two years later when I moved to a research university. Both institutions valued teaching but took markedly different approaches to student course evaluations. The research university relied almost exclusively on the summary scores of bubble-sheet course evaluations, while the liberal arts college didn't even allow candidates to include end-of-semester forms in tenure files. Instead they contacted former students, including alumni, and asked them to write letters…
Daniela Werner channels my inner thoughts.
Self-loathing kicks in, and I mentally whack myself over the head…

Like most of my fellow Web users, I exercise little self-control when spending time on the Internet. What I don't know is how I'm going to change…

It's embarrassing to admit that I willingly give up free time that I could spend accomplishing something of academic or personal value…
David Moltz
Amid the enrollment boom at community colleges, two-year honors programs have become more popular…

“More and more of our students in the program are coming here because they can’t afford to go off elsewhere,” Britt said…

No comments: