Wednesday, August 04, 2010

CCAP in the News

by Daniel L. Bennett

Mary Beth Marklein has an article in USA Today discussing Wednesday's Senate hearings on for-profit colleges that stemmed from the GAO's report that found instances of fraud and misrepresentation. I was cited in the article:
Daniel Bennett, author of a report on for-profit higher education being released Wednesday by the non-profit Center for College Affordability and Productivity, says the findings are not a sign of "widespread abuse."

"I'm not saying there aren't bad players, (but investigators) should also be looking at what is positive in this sphere, what schools are doing to cut costs and make things more efficient."

1 comment:

RWW said...

You are on the mark Daniel. I recently saw the story about "for profits" coaching students in how to take advantage of the financial aid system. These hacks that are coaching the students should be fired.

But your blog got me to thinking about not for profit schools getting into distance learning and how you guys view that and I'm wondering if this might develop into a trend in the future. Thus far I have found my experience with UW challenging, interesting, and actually kind of fun! I find it every bit as rigorous in my experience as an undergrad at OU. The part I miss though is the face to face interaction with the prof's and other students.

BTW - I still have the stories you sent me in my inbox and I apologize for not getting back to you. I have been dealing with a health issue as well as my studies, etc.

R