Monday, August 16, 2010

Links for 8/16/10

John Gibson and David McKenzie on the Brain Drain
policymakers (and economists, e.g. Bhagwati and Hamada 1974) have been worrying for decades about whether this represents a loss in valuable human capital and fiscal revenues. Yet in more recent times a counterargument has emerged that the prospect of migration may induce additional human capital formation among those who remain, and that migrants can spur trade and investment...

the effects of remittances, trade, investment, and repatriated savings typically more than offset the fiscal cost, and on top of this, the migrants themselves have seen enormous benefits from migration. In order for this high-skilled migration to have a net negative effect on development, one would therefore require very large externalities from the presence of these individuals...
Jennifer Epstein
GAO’s discoveries have put the Education Department on the defensive, trying to explain why it hasn’t done more to prevent recruiters from making deceptive statements to potential students…

Could the department have conducted its own secret shopper investigations and cracked down on aggressive recruiting practices before Congress and GAO got involved? Has the department failed to use all the tools in its existing enforcement toolbox as frequently and as well as it could have?

To most observers, the answer to both questions is yes…
Julie Garza-Withers
Recently, a friend asked me whether I’d encourage my own children (if I had them) to attend a community college, the system where I teach sociology. I said “yes” immediately, but I know what thoughts lay behind her question. She was alluding to my grumbling about research that I’d been reading that suggests working-class institutions such as community colleges may not be the best place for working-class students. Though I initially said “yes” to my friend’s question, the more honest answer is “maybe.” I feel guilty saying this, but I feel ambivalent. I am a proud community college graduate, and teaching at a community college is wonderful, but the community college does have problems that make me wonder whether we are doing right by working-class students and upholding our mission to create pathways to success...
Ethan Haines
My name is Ethan Haines. I stand in place of countless law students and recent law graduates who have been disillusioned by law school employment statistics, commercial school rankings, and antiquated career counseling programs. I designated myself class representative since these students are not able to come forward themselves for fear that vocalizing their concerns will negatively affect their careers.

On August 5, 2010, I will begin a hunger strike to bring awareness to the concerns of my classmates. Their primary concerns are inaccurate employment statistics, ineffective career counseling, and rising tuition costs. My intention is to have these concerns addressed by law school administrators...

No comments: